Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ask a question, save a life.



ARE YOU OK?  How often do you ask this of your friends, your family, your colleagues, your neighbours? And, if and when you do ask, how often are you prepared to give them enough time and compassion to truly answer it?

This Thursday the 15th of September is R U OK? Day, a day dedicated to raising awareness of depression, mental illness and to aid in suicide prevention is encouraging people to start life saving conversations using the simple question, "Are you ok?".

"Connection is a crucial part of general health and well being. It helps people cope with stressful life events, mental health problems, relationship breakdowns and bereavement. Staying connected is as simple as having regular, meaningful conversations." - R U OK Flyer

While I was reading over the campaign this morning, I began questioning how often I ask this question of the people I love. I know I ask "how you going?" but it's more often than not attached to a greeting, which I think rarely elicits much of a genuine response. I know that when somebody asks the same of me, I'll seldom feel compelled to respond with more than "good thanks", rather than "well actually I was up all night with life-draining menstrual cramps, I'm feeling overwhelmed by bills this week and in general I don't feel like I'm reaching my full potential in life" (come on, we've all had one of those days!).

Asking "Are you ok?" is different though, it's less obligatory and more direct. Combine it with sitting down over a juice, coffee or beer and it might just be enough to encourage someone to lighten their load, to share a problem, to ask for help.

More than 2,100 Australians suicide each year and countless others suffer in silence with depression and mental illness. So this Thursday, R U OK? is asking you to reach out and connect with somebody you care for. Check out the website, print out a poster for school or work and spread the word, but most of all don't forget to make an extra special effort this Thursday (or any day for that matter) to take the time to sit down with somebody you care about and ask them, "are you ok?".

I'll let Hugh have the final word...


No comments:

Post a Comment