Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Online Activism: can we REALLY make a difference?

 "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

You're going to have to forgive my Cultural Studies background! It's not enough for me to simply jump online, express my thoughts on the social conscience (as promised) and log out as I have a plethora of noisy theorists whom, during the course of my studies, have lodged themselves within the quiet recesses of my brain and cannot be silenced! As a result, each time I begin typing one of these entries a theorist pops up and begins his/her musings and I can't help but to start unpacking the cultural processes of communication and the roles they play in the production of meaning. However, I do think this is relevant (even to those who aren't Media/Cultural studies nerds such as myself) so bear with me!

It seems only fitting that in this online exposition of my social conscience I also consider the medium which provides the platform for my expression (it's a "Cultural Studies thing"). Where (or what) would my message be without this blog and the network of social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, email etc) that enable me to share it? Marshall McLuhan was a communication theorist (among other things) and was well known for coining the idiom quoted above in which he is basically asserting that the medium and the message cannot be separated. According to his assumption my musings on the social conscience (message) and this blog (medium) are inextricably linked, therefore the way in which you are receiving this blog post (via email, twitter link, facebook post etc) will ultimately influence the way you interpret the message.

Still with me? So taking this into account, the issue I really want to explore is how social media platforms and networks are influencing and enabling online activism on a global scale. What is the potential power of social media as a medium to communicate messages of activism in meaningful ways which bring about REAL positive change? I could unleash a torrent of theory upon you now but instead I think I'll pass over to Gina Bianchini (CEO and co founder of Ning) in her interview for the BBC Series, The Virtual Revolution, discussing the potential of social technology to change humanity...

No comments:

Post a Comment