Saturday, April 2, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness: Keep it simple

The one reoccurring issue I've come across when exploring the social conscience, both mine and that of others is that we all have a desire to help but we become so overwhelmed with the problems of the world that we don't know where to start. Do I help homeless people in Australia or starving people in Africa? Do I save the whales or save the rainforests? Do I donate money or time? And what if I don't have enough of either to make a difference? Of course all or any of these are good but it's okay to take baby steps too. As Chris Abani muses in the video from my last post:

"The world is never saved in grand messianic gestures but in the simple accumulation of gentle, soft, almost invisible acts of compassion, everyday acts of compassion". 

For me this translates into a phrase that I know many people are familiar with: 'random acts of kindness'. No matter your circumstances, employed, unemployed, rich, poor, young or old, we all have the capacity to participate in random acts of kindness every day.  Many people already do this subconsciously but imagine if we all started making a conscious effort to do something selfless on a daily basis to improve the circumstances of another person, animal or the environment.

The beauty of it is it can be as simple as a smile. How many people do you pass on the street everyday? How many do you make eye contact with and smile at? This is a simple act of kindness that we could all practice a hundred times a day: connect with people on the street (in the shopping centre, on the beach, at the gym, in the ocean, on the train) and acknowledge our shared humanity by making eye contact and smiling.

Now I must admit, as "simple" as this gesture seems, it doesn't always come easily. For someone like me who is inherently a little shy, the act of making eye contact and smiling at a stranger can be somewhat daunting and definitely takes a conscious effort to manufacture. But I figure what have I got to lose? What is the worst that could happen? Somebody could tell me to "Piss off, keep walking!" (as the local homeless man often says to a friend of mine)? I think I'm going to take my chances, I'm going to put myself out on the proverbial 'limb' in the hope that it just might brighten someone elses day.

"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” - Aristotle

I want to excel in random acts of kindness and this is my commitment to myself and anybody reading. I'm going to endeavour (step by step) to integrate random acts of kindness into my day to day life with the hope of one day reaching a point where it becomes so deeply ingrained in my being that I don't even think about it anymore. I know I am joining a kindness community of many and I hope that many more will continue to join. If we all start taking baby steps each and every day we could leave one massive footprint of kindness on the planet.

Rachel
HSNA5N7G67BD

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    I was pretty excited to come across your blog - its nice to know there are other people actively taking small steps towards a kinder world! I have decided to do one kind act every day for a year and it can seem overwhelming at times. I share your dubiousness towards being "a blogger" but also love writing and wish to emphasise what I believe is people's inherent goodness and desire to connect. So far I think (hope) blogging with a purpose can be very worthwhile!

    Well done on shining a light on your beautiful "quiet observations", and I look forward to future posts. :)

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Catherine for your encouragement and more than a little inspiration! I love the way that a blog can act as a more public form of the conscience. It is so easy to "say" you are going to do something, however I think the presence of a blog provides somebody besides yourself to answer to and can be very motivational when you are rewarded with the feedback of interested people. I am really excited to follow your journey over the next year.

    And I'm sure you had another specific "kindness" on your list today but please add "leaving a kind comment on a stranger's blog" because you have made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your 'random acts of kindness' angle, as well as the more philosophical underpinnings of questioning motivation, egotism vs altruism, whether there IS such a thing as a 'selfless' act.... I can't help thinking, actually, about the notion of 'responsibility', as it's taken up in post-structuralist circles, mainly by Derrida. He basically takes up the task of thinking through the dilemma you mention in one of your posts, the 'which is the best way to help' one; do I help this person cross the street, or do I donate all my money to developing nations, etc etc. He says that no mater WHAT you do you will always be failing some other person or persons - no mater how responsible or responsive you are to someone who calls to you, there will always be countless others to whom you have NOT responded, whose calls continue to go unheeded. And so how do you justify any 'act' when it will always, also, be a failure of some kind? He ultimately argues, similarly to Chris Abani, really, that you have to act, regardless, time and time again, and you have to act according to your own conscience, because no external 'meter' (or religion, really) can tell you what to do without kind of diluting the process. I"m paraphrasing awfully, of course - but if you're interested, the book is The Gift of Death - brief precis here: http://www.quodlibet.net/gift.shtml. Also worth a read is Kierkegaard, Fear and Trembling - that's one of the texts Derrida analyses in the book; it's about Abraham being asked to sacfirice Isaac on the mountain, all very fascinating stuff! It sounds a long way away from smiling at strangers, I suspect, but it's all linked, really...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a story to tell ........ A little boy, 4 years old passed an old lady walking through the school. He was alone passing her while she was holding onto a walking frame. He felt the need to stop. He asked her if she was ok and needed his help....born with a kind spirit. x

    ReplyDelete